GTX 970 black screen after pc startup/on booting

Home Forums PC Game Crash Fixes, Tips, How to’s, Guides GTX 970 black screen after pc startup/on booting

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  azor18 November 8, 2016 at 2:13 pm.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Author

micheal
    • Topics:
    • Replies:
    • level 1

Hi,

My PC SPECS:

i5 2500k 4GHZ
    Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 mobo
    16GB RAM
    GTX 970 4GB

I’ve never had this problem before with nvidia but ever since I’ve updated to the latest driver everytime I start my pc or restart my pc I have a black screen, I can see for a millisec the postscreen than after nothing, all black, it lasts about 5 min and than the windows login screen comes up and I log in and everything is fine, I can see my desktop, I can play games and browse the internet all is good ….

I know for a fact that the nvidia driver is causing the startup black screen because when I uninstall nvidia driver, my pc boots normally, no black screen, no waiting minutes to see my screen etc

I’ve already tried the following without any change:

– uninstalling nvidia driver with DDU and reinstalling the latest driver, also reinstalled the driver before that and the driver before to see if there’s a difference
    – plugging of the power of pc and screen
    – removing the GTX 970 from my mobo and reattaching it
    – uninstalling the onboard GPU (I’ve already done that 3 years ago) and also disable the onboard gpu at the device manager
    – changed the video settings in bios to PCI-E (duuuh, also done that when I bought my PC)

So I really have no clue why I’m having the startup black screen and why all of a sudden it happened, is it because of the nvidia driver or something else? I just can’t figure it out and my GPU isn’t defective otherwise I couldn’t play games and I would have black screens while playing games or with just simply browsing the internet or doing stuff at the desktop, and remember this never happened to me before, it only happened after I updated the driver ….

The only thing I can think of is somehow the latest driver messed up the power saving mode on booting the pc it doesn’t have enough power or something I don’t know, it’s maybe a gpu bios problem? Even though I have the latest gpu bios for my card and my mobo bios is also updated.

Does anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it? What’s causing this?

#1780 Reply

gamdh
    • Topics:
    • Replies:
    • level 1

Unplug the card to confirm if its a prob with the video card or the pc in general…
    (Your on the mark presuming its the video card or power, but hard to tell which one….)
    First step doesnt realy matter if the prob is with the card or of power, unless you have other parts to test with…

#1781 Reply

willy
    • Topics:
    • Replies:
    • level 1

Try booting to Safe Mode and unninstall the Nvidia driver..

#1782 Reply

micheal
    • Topics:
    • Replies:
    • level 1

Like I wrote, I already unplugged the gpu (I wasn’t very clear on that sorry) but after unplugging it I used my onboard gpu to see if I had picture and I did and windows boots just fine and very fast, no black screen.

#1783 Reply

micheal
    • Topics:
    • Replies:
    • level 1

Try booting to Safe Mode and unninstall the Nvidia driver..

Quote:Select all
    I know for a fact that the nvidia driver is causing the startup black screen because when I uninstall nvidia driver, my pc boots normally, no black screen, no waiting minutes to see my screen etc

I already did that, DDU does that for you, it goes to safe mode and uninstalls the driver, and like I wrote after uninstalling the driver, I had no black screen on startup.

#1784 Reply

lionking
    • Topics:
    • Replies:
    • level 1

Uninstalling the latest driver and installing a previous version should fix it..If doesn’t..It’s possibly a hardware problem..

#1785 Reply

michael
    • Topics:
    • Replies:
    • level 1

Uninstalling the latest driver and installing a previous version should fix it..If doesn’t..It’s possibly a hardware problem..

First about that double posting, please show me a way how to multiquote because I don’t see the multiquote button anywhere like on other boards …..

About the driver, like I wrote, I uninstalled the driver and installed previous drivers without any change …..

Fact is when I had the old driver from june 2016 everything worked fine, no black screen on startup, after updating to the latest driver, the black screen issue appeared. So no it’s not a hardware problem but a driver problem. The card is working fine after I log in to windows, I can play games and do other things just fine, I have no artifacts, no errors, no nothing.

This is simply a driver issue and it’s nvidia’s fault. They somehow messed up their latest drivers that’s causing the black screen issue.

#1884 Reply

azor18
    • Topics:
    • Replies:
    • level 1

@couldbeblue

Yes as stated I have downloaded the latest driver, I mean each time there is a new update, I uninstall the driver with DDU and install the latest driver.

@RED PYRAMID

I have win 8.1 not win 10. I don’t think this “solution” applies for me.

EDIT: I went ahead and tried and omg it worked man! I restarted my pc and no more blackscreen on startup, it instantly went to the windows login screen Smile

But I wonder what caused this “issue” in the first place? I never had this problem before, not before I decided to update my driver, last working one was from june.

Does nvidia know about this problem and why don’t they fix it on their drivers? :s

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: GTX 970 black screen after pc startup/on booting
Your information:

Gameslopedy on Social Media

support
Need Help?
+1 276-807-3597
Skype Chat
Skype Call
Support Ticket